Skip navigation

CALIFORNIA LOOSENS SEX OFFENDER RESIDENCY RULES (LAW) JB 3/27/15

STATE OFFICIALS ANNOUNCED THAT THEY ARE LOOSENING RESTRICTIONS ON WHERE CONVICTED SEX OFFENDERS CAN CHOOSE TO RESIDE.

CALIFORNIA WILL ALTER ITS 8-YEAR-OLD BAN PREVENTING ALL REGISTERED SEX OFFENDERS FROM LIVING NEAR SCHOOLS OR PARKS, INSTEAD IMPOSING THE RESTRICTION ONLY ON PEDOPHILES AND OTHERS WHOSE SEX CRIMES INVOLVED CHILDREN. THE STATE CORRECTIONS DEPARTMENT SAID IT IS CHANGING ITS POLICY IN RESPONSE TO A STATE SUPREME COURT RULING THAT FOUND THE BLANKET PROHIBITION UNCONSTITUTIONAL. THE HIGH COURT RULED THIS MONTH THAT RESTRICTIONS IMPOSED BY CALIFORNIA VOTERS IN 2006 GO TOO FAR TO LIMIT WHERE SEX OFFENDERS CAN LIVE. PAROLE AGENTS CAN STILL FORCE SEX OFFENDERS TO LIVE MORE THAN 2,000 FEET FROM SCHOOLS AND PARKS WHERE CHILDREN GATHER, AS REQUIRED BY THE BALLOT MEASURE COMMONLY KNOWN AS JESSICA’S LAW. BUT THEY WILL HAVE TO MAKE THE DECISION FOR INDIVIDUAL CASES. THE MARCH 2 RULING APPLIED ONLY TO REGISTERED SEX-OFFENDER PAROLEES IN SAN DIEGO COUNTY, BUT PRISON OFFICIALS WILL APPLY THE RULING STATEWIDE.

HIT AND RUN NORTH STATE STREET (LAW) JB 3/27/15

A UKIAH MAN WHO FLED THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT THIS WEEK WAS ARRESTED ON CHARGES OF DUI AND HIT AND RUN.

UKIAH POLICE OFFICERS RESPONDED TO AN AREA OF N. STATE STREET REGARDING A HIT AND RUN TRAFFIC COLLISION. UPON ARRIVAL BY OFFICERS, WITNESSES TOLD THEM THAT A SILVER TOYOTA TACOMA BEING DRIVEN BY A MALE ADULT, LATER IDENTIFIED AS 37 YEAR OLD JACOB NOZICKA, HAD COLLIDED WITH A PARKED VEHICLE AND THEN FLED THE SCENE GOING SOUTH ON N. STATE ST. OFFICERS BEGAN CHECKING THE AREA FOR THE VEHICLE AND DRIVER AND WERE ABLE TO LOCATE THE TOYOTA PARKED ON S. DORA STREET. NOZICKA WAS FOUND NEARBY THE VEHICLE AND ADMITTED TO OFFICERS THAT HE HAD BEEN DRIVING. WHILE OFFICERS SPOKE WITH THE SUSPECT, HE DISPLAYED SYMPTOMS OF INTOXICATION. NOZICKA WAS LATER ARRESTED AFTER BEING IDENTIFIED AS THE DRIVER BY WITNESSES FOR DUI AND HIT AND RUN AND HE WAS BOOKED INTO THE MENDOCINO COUNTY JAIL.

MCGUIRE SECURES FUNDS TO FIGHT WATER DIVERSIONS (GOV) JB 3/27/15

AS PART OF THE NEW $1 BILLION WATER PLAN, SENATOR MIKE MCGUIRE SECURED FUNDS TO FIGHT ILLEGAL WATER DIVERSIONS.

STATE SENATOR MIKE MCGUIRE HAS HELPED SECURE CRITICAL FUNDING FROM STATE WATER AND DROUGHT RELIEF BONDS TO FIGHT DEVASTATING ILLEGAL WATER DIVERSIONS FROM TRESPASS MARIJUANA GROWS IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. COMPOUNDED WITH HISTORIC DROUGHT CONDITIONS, ILLEGAL GROWS HAVE HAD A SIGNIFICANT NEGATIVE IMPACT ON WATERSHEDS IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. THE $2 MILLION IN BONDS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY UTILIZED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE TO HIRE 11 NEW POSITIONS TO JOIN A MARIJUANA TASK FORCE CREATED BY GOVERNOR BROWNS OFFICE LAST YEAR.

TSUNAMI DEBRIS DISCUSSED AT MEETING IN FT BRAGG (EVR) JB 3/27/15

THE CONTINUING DISCOVERY ON THE NORTH COAST OF DEBRIS FROM THE 2011 TSUNAMI IN JAPAN WAS DISCUSSED AT A MEETING IN FORT BRAGG RECENTLY.

THE ADVOCATE-NEWS REPORTED THAT EBEN SCHWARTZ, A MARINE DEBRIS PROGRAM MANAGER WITH THE CALIFORNIA COASTAL COMMISSION, SPOKE TO A CROWDED TOWN HALL HOSTED BY THE NOYO MARINE SCIENCE CENTER ABOUT THE OCEAN DEBRIS AND ITS EFFECTS. ACCORDING TO SCHWARTZ, THE NATIONAL OCEANIC AND ATMOSPHERIC ADMINISTRATION ESTIMATES THAT THE 1.5 MILLION TONS OF DEBRIS IS SPREAD OUT OVER THE ENTIRE NORTH PACIFIC, AN AREA OF ABOUT 4,000 MILES. DUE TO STRONG OCEAN CURRENTS ALONG CALIFORNIA, THE MENDOCINO COASTLINE AND AREAS IMMEDIATELY NORTH ARE THE ONLY PLACES IN THE STATE WHERE RESEARCHERS EXPECT TO SEE DEBRIS.

UKIAH MAN SMASHES WINDOW WITH HIS HEAD (LAW) JB 3/27/15

A UKIAH MAN WAS ARRESTED AFTER AN ALTERCATION THAT RESULTED IN THE SUSPECT SMASHING A WINDOW WITH HIS HEAD.

UKIAH POLICE OFFICERS WERE DISPATCHED TO THE AREA OF IRVINGTON DR, REGARDING SOMEONE CALLING FOR HELP AFTER A WINDOW HAD BEEN SMASHED. UPON ARRIVAL OFFICERS CONTACTED ANGELO BETTEGA WHO WAS BLEEDING ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HIS HEAD. WHEN OFFICERS QUESTIONED BETTEGA AS TO HIS IDENTITY AND WHAT HAD HAPPENED TO HIM, HE PROVIDED A FALSE NAME AND CLAIMED HE HAD FALLEN. OFFICERS LOCATED A NEARBY RESIDENCE WHICH HAD A BROKEN WINDOW AND AFTER CONTACTING THE RESIDENT, OFFICERS LEARNED BETTEGAS TRUE IDENTITY AND THAT HE HAD CAUSED A VERBAL ARGUMENT INSIDE THE RESIDENCE AND HAD BEEN ASKED TO LEAVE. WHEN BETTEGA LEFT HE STRUCK HIS HEAD ON THE WINDOW CAUSING IT TO SHATTER AND INJURE HIMSELF. A RECORDS CHECK ON BETTEGA FOUND THAT HE HAD A FELONY WARRANT FOR HIS ARREST FOR ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY WEAPON AND HE WAS ARRESTED AND BOOKED INTO THE MENDOCINO COUNTY JAIL

LAKE MENDOCINO CONTINUES TO DROP (EVR) JB 3/27/15

THE WATER LEVEL IN LAKE MENDOCINO CONTINUES TO DROP AND EXPERTS SAY THE RELEASE LEVELS ARE BASED ON NEARLY 30 YEAR OLD DATA.

ACCORDING TO THE UKIAH DAILY JOURNAL, SEAN WHITE, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE RUSSIAN RIVER FLOOD CONTROL AND WATER CONSERVATION IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT STATED THAT THE MINIMUM FLOWS FROM LAKE MENDOCINO ARE DICTATED BY A DECISION WRITTEN IN 1986. SINCE IT WAS WRITTEN SO LONG AGO, MANY OF THE THINGS IT WAS PREDICTED ON NO LONGER APPLY. WHITE ADDED THAT THE LOCAL WEATHER YEAR IS DERIVED FROM THE AMOUNT OF WATER IN LAKE PILLSBURY, WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE AMOUNT OF WATER STORED IN LAKE MENDOCINO. SO EVEN THOUGH THE ENTIRE STATE IS SUFFERING FROM A PROLONGED DROUGHT, THE OFFICIAL DETERMINATION FOR THE LOCAL WEATHER YEAR THUS FAR IS NORMAL, BECAUSE OF THE AMOUNT OF WATER IN LAKE PILLSBURY, RESULTING IN THE CONTINUED ELEVATED WATER RELEASES FROM LAKE MENDOCINO. IN THE PAST WEEK ALONE, LAKE MENDOCINO HAS LOST 800 ACRE FEET OF WATER, MORE THAN 260 MILLION GALLONS.

OAK MANOR STRING OF BURGLARIES (LAW) JB 3/27/15

A RECENT STRING OF BURGLARIES IN THE OAK MANOR ARE HAS LAW ENFORCEMENT ADVISING RESIDENTS TO USE EXTRA CAUTION.

LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS HAVE REPORTED A RASH OF VEHICLE AND HOME BURGLARIES IN THE AREA OF OAK MANOR LATELY.

RESIDENTS NEED TO ENSURE THAT THEY LOCK THEIR DOORS WHEN NOT HOME AND VEHICLES WHEN PARKED. OFFICERS HAVE INCREASED PATROLS IN THIS AREA DURING THE EVENING HOURS WHILE UKIAH POLICE DEPARTMENT DETECTIVES ARE FOLLOWING UP ON LEADS REGARDING THE RESPONSIBLE PERSON(S). ANYONE WITH INFORMATION REGARDING THESE INCIDENTS IS ENCOURAGED TO CONTACT THE UKIAH POLICE DEPARTMENT.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: