Skip navigation

Two weeks after the Valley Fire many Lake County groups and organizations are ready to help residents with recovery. All road closures are lifted. FEMA is in town helping Lake County residents. They can be reached at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), or online, you can also go directly to the Local Assistance Center in Middletown. More than 2 dozen companies and agencies representing local, state and federal government and non-profits are helping the community to rebuild, remove debris, replace important records and find housing and basic needs. There are also professionals on standby with psych evaluations and counseling 24/7 for help with increased anxiety, worry and anger. For phone numbers and other resources visit For help with temporary housing call (707) 262-1090 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to request assistance. There’s Free debris removal through the Environmental Health Department. Sign up to receive assistance through the Local Assistance Center (LAC) or contact Environmental Health at (707) 263-1164.

The deadline to get assistance from the Small Business Administration’s (SBA) Disaster Field Operations Center for small, nonfarm businesses in 26 California counties and Nevada is October 26th. The low-interest loans are for those suffering from a loss of money caused by the drought. The counties are Humboldt, Lake, Napa, Nevada, Placer, Solano, Sutter, Ventura and Yuba; many other neighboring counties that are also affected to, including Colusa, Contra Costa, Del Norte, Mendocino, Sacramento, Siskiyou, Sonoma, Trinity and Yolo. Up to 2 million dollars for some businesses with interest rates as low as 2.6 percent with terms up to 30 years.

The Calif. State License Board is warning folks who need contractors to help with rebuild or remodels after the Valley Fire to be careful who you hire. The California State License Board has tips on false claims and services, make sure you don’t rush into repairs, get at least 3 bids, don’t hire the first contractor you meet, be careful with door to door offers or flyers or business cards left at your property. And ask friends, family and associates for contractors they have hired. Also, don’t pay with cash, get licensing proof, and with your contract, make sure you have an itemized list of work.

The Lake County Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) is opening in Middletown at the Sr. Center. Today at noon, the center will open for those impacted by the Valley Fire. Each day the center is open until 6. Then tomorrow, it will be open for more regular hours, 8a-7p. The State Office of Emergency Services and Federal Emergency Management Agency in partnership with the county and local agencies.

​The Adult Services branch of the Lake County Department of Social Services says those who need help from In­Home Supportive Services (IHSS) and Meals on Wheels should call. The number: 995-4680. They say they want to make sure their clients are safe and get the benefits they need.

The Department of Social Services is offering services to fire survivors with extended hours starting next week. Those in need of food, should be in touch with the agency to sign up for Disaster CalFresh. They will temporarily help with food for 30 days, there are Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card to be used for buying food at participating retailers. To qualify you must live or work in a disaster area, have had a disruption to your income stream, have disaster related expenses, have no liquid resources. Go to either the Middletown Library or Lake County Department of Social Services in Lower Lake.

A leaking fire hydrant caused a traffic nightmare in Ukiah. It happened at the corner of Peach Street and South Orchard Avenue Friday dumping thousands of gallons of water. The city’s Water and Sewer Department says they tried turning off the valve to the hydrant without luck, so they turned it off at Peach Street. The agency says about 5,000 gallons was lost. The hydrant would be replaced on Monday.

A local legislator says about 2.5 million dollars is going to local tribes in grants for police departments. House member Jared Huffman says the money coming from the will go to the Hopland Band of Pomo Indians, Yurok Tribe, Hoopa Valley Tribe, Round Valley Indian Tribes and the Coyote Valley Band of Pomo Indians as part of the Coordinated Tribal Assistance Solicitation grant program,. The money helps with law enforcement, bolsters justice systems, helps prevent youth substance abuse, addresses violence against women, serves crime victims and supports other efforts to combat crime. Huffman says the money’s going to help tripes hire cops, help victims and keep tribal lands safe.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: