Skip navigation

The deadline is looming for the victims of the Tubbs fire in Sonoma County who want to use government resources for debris cleanup. The Press Democrat reports the deadline for the Army Corps of Engineers to do the cleanup is today. As of last Friday evening, nearly 3,100 property owners turned in their “right of entry” forms, but that’s about 67 percent of the homes destroyed in the Tubbs and the Nuns and Pocket fires in Sonoma County last month. More than 1,900 applications have been approved so far.

The Federal government is reportedly looking for a new warning system in Northern Calif. after the deadly October wildfires. The Press Democrat reports it was known the technology that can be used to broadcast official emergency warnings from cell towers was outdated. The newspaper reports messages were too short when they came and didn’t have web links associated to them. The paper further reports the FCC was checking into updating warning capabilities but ran into some red tape which led Sonoma County officials to forego the Wireless Emergency Alert messages that come over like text messages. So now a newer system will apparently be implemented. The FCC ordering all cellphone companies to allow for embedded links and longer government emergency text messages.

An outside company is taking over the investigations and complaints at the state capitol of possible sexual harassment or misconduct. This after Democratic State Senator Tony Mendoza was accused of improper conduct, inviting a young woman in a fellowship program to his house repeatedly. She never went. Now the leader of the Senate, President Pro Tem Kevin de Leon, is being called out on the formal complaint against Mendoza, something de Leon says he knew nothing about. The Press Democrat also reports de Leon rents a room in Mendoza’s home in Sacramento. And De Leon is running for the U.S. Senate seat long held by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, who the newspaper reports is one of California’s most prominent women in politics and a powerful U.S. senator.

A man from Los Angeles has been arrested in connection to a stabbing early Saturday morning in Willits. Willits Police say they got a call just after midnight Friday night to the Safeway gas station for a woman in distress. They say when they got there they found the victim with multiple stab wounds. They identified Jose Grant of being involved and worked with the Sheriff’s Office to find him. Grant’s arrested and booked into County Jail for attempted murder.

Hospice Services of Lake County is having a series of free workshops on how to cope after the death of a loved one during the holiday season. They have a Bereavement Counselor from Hospice Services giving three talks on the grieving process and offering tips for coping with feelings of loss during the holidays. The discussion in Lakeport, this Wednesday at 2 PM at Hospice Services of Lake County bereavement center on Parallel Drive. Then on Friday in Clearlake at 1 PM at the Senior Support Center and finally in Middletown, next Tuesday at 1 PM at the Middletown Senior Center.

For more information and to RSVP, call (707) 263-6270 Ext.123 or send an email to kbradley. Also, visit the agency’s website, www.lakecountyhospice.org.

Two teenagers who disappeared from Middletown have been found safe. The Lake County Sheriff’s Office reports 18 year old Jacob Young and 15 year old Olivia Baker were last seen on Halloween in Middletown. The two were found last Sunday, about 5 days later. Lake Co News reports the Lake County Sheriff’s office thanking the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office to help locate the teens safely.

The Mendocino County Farm Bureau is having a meetup to help the victims of the October fires. The Post-Fire Agricultural and Rural Property Resource Meeting is set for Wednesday morning at 9 at the Ukiah Valley Conference Center. It’s open to the public and free to join in. The executive director of the Farm Bureau says they’ll delve into post-fire erosion control practices, techniques and materials for rural residential, agricultural and rangeland properties, tree removal, maintenance and re-planting options, damage assessment and they’ll have a presentation on after-fire technical and financial assistance help. They will have time after the meeting for folks to visit with individual agencies and organizations.

Attendees are asked to RSVP to the Farm Bureau at (707) 462-6664 or respond to the calendar event link at http://mendofb.org/event/post-fire-agricultural-and-rural-property-resource-meeting/.

Wet weather forecast all week. Lake Co News reports the National Weather Service warning a Pacific storm has moved over the Coastal Range and will bring wet weather into tomorrow with another stronger system later this week. There was rain in some areas last night with an 80% chance in Lake County and 60% in Mendo County today. Things should dry up tomorrow then pick back up either Wednesday or Thursday, clear Friday and wet over the weekend.

The Lake County Board of Supervisors has been going back and forth on whether or not to accept out-of-county wildland fire debris and will reconsider the matter. The board will talk about taking out of county fire debris at the Eastlake Landfill at their meeting tomorrow and discuss Sulphur fire recovery. Lake Co News reports on the agenda for tomorrow’s meeting after last month’s meeting where the board decided not to accept fire debris at the landfill because of limited space. But the news site reports Supervisor Rob Brown asked for the matter to be brought back for reconsideration. The board will also look to continue the local health emergency declared by the Lake County Health Officer due to the Sulphur fire.

Ukiah Waste Solutions is considering getting rid of all of their bins except the largest size for residents. Notices apparently sent to all of the company’s curbside collection customers, that they’re dumping their 10 and 20-gallon cans and instead will only offer the 32 gallon can regardless of the amount of trash produced by customers. The change set for after the new year. That means the rate will go up for customers who’ve been using the smaller cans to as much as about $13 more dollars a month. The Daily Journal reports even if you don’t want garbage pickup, you’d be charged $10 a month, which is almost two times the amount before. The city council will consider the changes at their meeting next month.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: