Skip navigation

A two decades old planning document will get an update in the city of Ukiah. The Daily Journal reports the City Council denied Garton Tractor a permit on Talmage Road for more space to service local agricultural equipment, but there weren’t enough votes to overrule a determination by the Mendocino County Airport Land Use Commission. The Planning Commission was all for the expansion for Garton, but the Vice Mayor filed an appeal because of its proximity to the Airport. But apparently a map used to decide the permit had not been updated since 1996. The map the city and airport used was last updated in 2015. The newspaper reports the Airport Manager Greg Owen and the City of Ukiah have requested the map used be updated. So city staff are working to find a funding solution so the plan can be updated. It’s estimated to cost from $100,000 and $130,000. After that Garton can re-apply for their permit.

An update on a months long investigation into a family who drove over the side of a cliff last year in Mendocino County. The sheriff’s office says partial remains found last May have been confirmed to be of one of the six kids in the car with their two mom’s, 16 year old Hannah Hart. The Hart family SUV went over the cliff north of Westport last March. There is still one child who was in the car still listed as missing, 15 year old Devonte Hart, so the case is still open and active. The Dept. of Justice Lab just informed the sheriff’s office this week about the DNA test results of remains found last May.

A man severely injured after being hit by an alleged drunk driver in serious condition still and a GoFundMe page has been set up to help pay for his medical bills. The California Highway Patrol reported 40 year old Matthew Adams of Ukiah driving north on the 101 Monday night when he was hit by a Dodge pickup in the opposite direction. Adams was pinned in his car by a fence and had to be extricated. The driver, identified as Ransome Anderson Jr., of Covelo. He’s been arrested on suspicion of DUI causing injury, a felony. He was booked into Mendocino County Jail. The victim suffered a shattered jaw and cheek bone, bleeding on the brain and a collapsed lung.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-matt-and-jazz

A man from Ukiah arrested after a woman’s threatened with a bayonet. Police get a call Tuesday night by a woman saying the man threatened her with a sword. She left the home with the alleged attacker inside. The woman told police Michael Woolsey threatened her and tried cutting her with a bayonet, described as a “knife, sword, or spike shaped weapon". Police took the weapon and arrested the man on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and for making criminal threats. He was booked into Mendocino County Jail under $30,000 bail.

The commercial Dungeness crab fishery is finally opening, but in a limited area. The California Department of Fish and Wildlife had delayed the opening from Patrick’s Point in Humboldt County north to the California/Oregon state line. The closure after state health agencies recommended it because of elevated levels of domoic acid in the fishery. Now the opening south of Patrick’s Point to the Sonoma/Mendocino county line next Tuesday, Jan. 15th. On Saturday they can set their pots out within a 64 hour gear-setting period. The rest of the area remains closed, with the state agency ready to open with a 72-hour advance notice for when trap gear can be set.

A homeless man found dead in Fort Bragg, in front of a business. Police say the 61 year old was found New Year’s Eve morning on North Main Street. He was apparently known well by Fort Bragg police and in the homeless community. His name’s not been released because his family’s not been notified yet. Police say there’s no evidence of trauma or foul play, his body found near a boat outside The Shop. They also say he had been hit by a car a day before, but don’t think that had anything to do with his death, but he went to the hospital with facial injuries and refused treatment. After the accident someone called to report a man staggering and fell by the movie theaters in town, then the next day a call for a sleeping man.

Several hundred modular homes have been approved for more than 1,000 Camp Fire victims at a local industrial park. The Gridley City Council said yes to a short-term lease agreement with the federal government for 350 homes. More than 14,000 homes were destroyed in the fire in November and as many as 30,000 people were without a home in Paradise, Magalia and Concow. There were some objections from residents, like the amount of traffic it will bring, possible increased crime and a financial burden on the city. But the City Administrator and City Attorney say they’re working to ensure the mobile homes fit in the undeveloped parcel and other factors are taken care of. The federal government is putting up nearly a half million dollars for the homes.

Contractors living in the Camp Fire burn who lost tools will be able to replace them with a $500,000 equipment giveaway. It’s tomorrow and Saturday at California Service Tool. Those who are employed in the construction industry need to show their FEMA case number or SBA disaster number, their contractor’s license number or a license number for their employer, and their id to qualify. Valley Contractors Exchange and Apex Tool Group, California Service Tools and other suppliers partnering to help local contractors. For more info, Valley Contractors Exchange, 343-1981, or elizabeth.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: