Skip navigation

The Ukiah Symphony Association has announced they’re postponing the entire 2020-21 concert season. The Association says the fact that Mendocino College deciding to mostly operate online for the next academic year and required physical distancing and shelter-in-place orders informed their choice. The Symphony Association President says they plan to resume performances for the 2021-22 concert season but says it’s impossible to predict what the reality will be next year. They are however, offering virtual events thru their social media pages. And you can check out their website too, https://www.ukiahsymphony.org/

On Monday you may hear some sirens as the Lake County Sheriff’s Office/Office of Emergency Services is testing the emergency warning sirens in Loch Lomond, Cobb Mountain, Anderson Springs, and Middletown. It’s to make sure the sirens work ok and there may be some additional messages sent as a reminder beforehand. It’s to mark the beginning of the monthly test of the system, which will be the first Monday of every month at 11 AM. They say if there is an active response to local fires in progress, the test will be cancelled, and resume the following month. They remind you to get your email address to the Sheriff’s office, so you’ll get notified each month.

Following the three Sheriff’s in the Emerald Triangle, the Sheriff of Sonoma County says he’s not going to enforce the stay home public health order. As were reported yesterday the Emerald Triangle law enforcement officers were in alignment with the US Constitution, now the Sonoma County Sheriff Mark Essick says the local Public Health Officer Dr. Sundari Mase’s order to stick to Phase 2 and not allow more openings for two weeks is not in line with the state and that she didn’t provide proof to keep restrictions on civil liberties in place. County leaders do not agree with the Sheriff, just this week, they back Dr. Mase after she said there had been local outbreaks, but left it at that. Essick is ordering deputies to consider violation reports against what the state’s guidelines are, and educate the public how to slow the spread of the virus, but not to book anyone in jail for solely violating the county’s public health order.

The Sonoma County Public Health Officer has release more info about why she’s holding back on reopening some businesses, only saying it was because of community spread and a nursing home outbreak. Now, Dr. Sundari Mase says there were several infections at a local winery, a water filtration plant and in a group of farmworkers. She didn’t say which winery, name the water plant or what crops the farmworkers had handled though. She said there had been a recent shift from households to workplaces as people move about more, not knowing they may have been infected with the highly contagious disease. Dr. Mase nor County leaders have answered any more questions on the matter.

Campfire restrictions announced in the Mendocino National Forest as we enter wildfire season. The Forest announced yesterday to protect the health and safety of employees and communities, starting today there will be no igniting, building, maintaining or using a fire except in developed recreation sites and wilderness within the Mendocino National Forest. Officials say these steps are to make sure firefighters are available to safely respond and manage incidents and that 95 percent of all wildfires are human-caused. The Forest Supervisor says there’s an above-normal fire season projected in much of the state, and the combined potential for wildfires and smoke could impact communities and firefighters, and it’s everyone’s responsibility to be fire safe at all times while visiting the Forest.

The Governor’s announced an accelerated reopening for churches and other Places of Worship along with in-person protests, so the Mendocino County Health Officer has issued another revised Shelter-In-Place (SIP) Order to reflect what the state is authorizing. Places of worship including churches, mosques, temples, and synagogues can have limited capacity, same for Funeral Services. Hair salons and barbershops may open for limited haircut-related services, following the outlined statewide guidance, and in-person political protests are allowed with modifications and must adhere to safety measures from the State and outlined in the Health Officer’s Order. Also very limited use of shared pools for pool-based physical therapy. All of this went into effect just before midnight last night.

The Lake County Public Health Officer releasing a statement about mask wearing. Dr. Gary Pace, says yes, there are those for health reasons, who cannot wear a mask. Maybe it’s due to breathing difficulty or other negative physical or emotional consequences, but the County’s latest health order encourages a doctor’s note if they get push back from local businesses. So he released an Addendum to the County’s health order for individuals unable to wear a mask, that they must help in other ways, with minimum physical distance of 6 feet between people, unless there’s protective shielding in place. And that businesses can lawfully refuse your entrance.

For Lake County-specific Coronavirus information, please continue to visit the Lake County Health Services Department’s website, http://health.co.lake.ca.us.

The Lake County Coronavirus Response Hub has additional valuable resources:https://lake-co-ca-coronavirus-response-lakecoca.hub.arcgis.com/

The plan for the state to make up a 54 billion dollar budget gap has some state Senators just saying no. The plan would mean permanent cuts for K-12 schools and community colleges if there is no money coming from the federal government after the outbreak. School districts say it would mean schools closing, mass layoffs and a delay to reopening in the fall. But the state Senate has a plan that says no to the cuts and instead tables $9 billion in payments to public schools for a year so school districts could spend money by borrowing or using their own savings then the state could pay them back later. Payments have been delayed in years past, like $10 billion when Jerry Brown was the Governor, but it was paid back over several years, this new plan, is just one year. The deadline for a plan in the state Legislature is June 15th for a new operating budget for the fiscal year starting July 1st.

From Mendocino County Public Health Office Facebook page:
“Public Health is confirming 5 additional cases of #COVID19 in Mendocino County. 3 of the 30 total cases are still under investigation. Please see the dashboard below for the demographic info we have available at this time. Join us for our live Friday Update tomorrow with Dr. Doohan for more information as it emerges.”

Deputies in Ukiah looking for the public’s help after several reports of shots fired in Ukiah. The Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office says they’re investigating an illegal discharge of at least one gun in the south end of the City. The MCSO went out to the 100 block of Oak Knoll Road early Sunday morning after multiple reports of shots fired. They say they were in touch with local residents who said they thought there was a car that left the area and headed north on South Dora Street afterwards, but they didn’t have a description of the vehicle. Deputies say they did find about 10 to 20 expended handgun casings on the street, but no bullet holes, strike marks or victims at any of the homes in the neighborhood. They’re asking anyone with further information to call the Sheriff’s dept. or anonymous tip line.  

The State of Calif. says it needs to raise at least $500 million for electronics for students since many could continue at home learning thru the end of the year, possibly into next year. The Superintendent of Public Instruction for the state Tony Thurmond calling on companies, foundations and individual donors to help get 600,000 computers and tablets, and 300,000 to 400,000 internet connections or hot spots so K-12 students will be able to continue distance learning due to coronavirus pandemic. The State working with T-Mobile, Verizon, Amazon and others to get 100,000 hot spots for students and 21,000 computers to districts.

Mendocino College announcing they’ll continue most instruction online in the fall. The interim Superintendent/President says they’ll be “primarily” online in the fall for the “health, safety, and well-being of students, faculty, staff, and community”. She says it was a tough decision, but after speaking with faculty leadership, deans, the vice president of academic affairs and others, they thought it would be best to decide sooner rather than later in order to have time for fall schedule planning.  She also says if there are any in-person activities, they will be with appropriate safety precautions like physical distancing and sanitation measures, and only in small, stable groups.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: